Friday, December 7, 2007

New Experience!

In all my pregnancies, I have never had heartburn though I have read it is a very common experience. Well, last night, with only 7 days to go, I believe I had my first encounter. But it was not a burn - oh no! It was a sharp, piercing, stabbing pain, right in the middle of my chest, that went all the way to my back and shoulder blades. It hurt so badly that it took my breath away. After it continued without subsiding for over 10 minutes straight, I told Warren "I think I'm having a heart attack..." I seriously thought something was very wrong. Despite my not wanting to wake up the girls, we loaded them up at 12:00 and headed over to the ER. They checked my EKG and everything looked normal. And lo and behold, when they gave me Maalox with Lidocain, the symptoms subsided. That was the weirdest thing!!

Anyway, I just want to give a shout out to this ER. This was the first time we have used it, instead of going to a hospital ER. It's just a free-standing ER that's about 5 minutes from our house - they are completely equipped with everything that an ER attached to a hospital has, but without the hospital beds/rooms. They have Ultrasound, CT, cath lab, etc., etc. They even have a helipad where they can fly out traumas if needed. I was in and out of there in UNDER 45 minutes, including sign-in paperwork, meeting with the doctor, the head clinical nurse, and the nursing assistant, having the EKG, receiving the medicine, and checking out!! Have you EVER heard of such an efficient ER experience? I will never go anywhere else first. When Warren went to the hospital ER for his herniated disk, he was there for 11 hours and received only an MRI and had the doctor read the results. Crazy.

So, all in all, I'm glad it was just heart burn, and I can't wait for the next 6 days to pass like lightning!

3 Comments:

At 11:01 AM , Blogger Jonah said...

glad you're okay! I had nasty heartburn with Jonah. It's terrible!

We loved that ER! We had several occasions to use it before we left!

I'll be thinking of you these next days!!

 
At 1:45 PM , Blogger Bertie said...

Whenever someone has heartburn- I tell them to breathe in really deep.- They usually hit me afterwards. But- in all seriousness- I'm glad that everything is ok and that it was ONLY heartburn-- and that ER sounds great!

6 DAYS!!! That is it!! WOW!! It will fly by:)

 
At 11:24 PM , Blogger Stewartville est. 1995 said...

sorry to burst your bubble...but the last six days are anything but lightning fast!

Heartburn is just plain awful!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page