Friday, December 14, 2007

She's Finally Here!!

I can't believe it was just two days ago that I got to see and hold Macy for the first time! The day started out with excitement because the girls tore off the last 2 rings from our countdown paper chain. Every morning for the past several weeks, they have each torn off a ring and have gotten so excited as they've watched it get shorter and shorter.

I dropped the girls off at school and then went home to do some final packing. Can you believe I was packing the morning I went to the hospital?? I am such a procrastinator! Then I drove myself to the hospital because Warren had to run into work early that morning for just a couple of hours, so he just met me at the hospital a little later. I had to be there 2 hours early to do paperwork and all that stuff.

It was so fun waiting before the c-section. Dad and Twi and Wendy and Nanny and Warren and I just had a little party in the prep room, telling funny stories about things like how we got the different scars we have and other bizarre topics like that. The nurses probably thought we were a little weird. :) Rightfully so, many of you might add. ;)

Then they took me back to get the spinal block going. It was so cool because my anesthesiologist did my other 2 c-sections as well - he said I was his first 3-peat C-section at this hospital. He was SOO nice and down to earth - telling funny stories and everything. It was nice to be put at ease like that because getting the spinal block is always the hardest part for me - I always feel a little scared when they are sticking a needle in my spinal cord. He does such a great job though - and I learned that I can actually just request him. So if we have another baby, I am definitely going to try to get him.

The c-section went very smoothly! It's the weirdest sensation in the world because you can totally feel pressure and pushing and pulling and tugging below your waist, but no pain. It's just bizarre how you can feel him put his hand on your leg, but you can't feel him slicing you open with a scalpel! Anyway, the surgery only took about 10-15 minutes and then we got to hear her cute little cry! That's when my tears start coming!!

My only complaint about having a c-section is that after she's born, I don't even get to lay eyes on her for 5-10 minutes while they are cleaning her up and checking her out and everything. I hear all the talking and can hear her crying, but have this big blue sheet thing draped in front of me, so I can't see anything. Warren was cute - he videotaped a few minutes of them cleaning her and checking her out, then brought it back to me to let me watch it until they brought the baby to me. I just love holding her for the first time!















I am in love with this little girl already! After I was back in my room with the baby, Aunt Linda picked up Madison and Maya from school and brought them up to the hospital to meet their baby sister! They were cute with her the first time they saw her... They were enthralled for about 2 minutes, and then wanted to start exploring my hospital room, including pushing the buttons on my electric bed - lots of fun!! In fact, Maya found the "secret" compartment at the foot of the bed that the nurses use to make adjusments. So later that day, the bed would not work at all. I could not figure out what was going on! Then I remembered catching Maya with her hands in that little compartment and found that she had locked the bed in that position. Stinker!

When the girls came in to meet Macy, I had brought some stickers and some MnM treats for them, and told them they were a gift from Macy. They both excitedly began to dig into the presents, but later on, Madison looked at me very thoughtfully with furrowed brow and asked "But Mom, how did Macy get those presents for us? She's just a baby!" Can't get anything past that girl, I tell you! I explained that Macy told me in my heart that she wanted me to get those things for them because she was so excited to be their baby sister, and that she wanted something with MnM's on it because she was so happy to be an "M" with them. That seemed to satisfy her.

Madison easily grasps the whole concept of Macy growing in my tummy and then being born, so now she will live with us and be in our family But I don't know if Maya has put 2 and 2 together yet. ;) She has known all these months that "Nacy" is in Mommy's tummy, but now that Mommy is in the hospital and there's this new baby in the room, it doesn't seem to have clicked that she was the same baby in my tummy. I would love to know exactly what she understands in her mind! Here she is giving Macy a kiss.

I've been feeling really good after the c-section on Thursday, but this afternoon the pain really came on strong. My nurse said it could be because some of the drugs from the surgery can stay in your system for 36 hours or so, and when they wear off you feel the full brunt of the pain. Boy, did I!! Thank goodness for effective drugs. All along I keep thinking how fortunate I am to live in this day and age, with advanced medicine, pain relievers, hospital care, etc. I think people a hundred years ago or more must have suffered an awful lot if things didn't go perfectly in their pregnancy.

Anyway, I am so thankful Macy is here and that she is a beautiful, healthy baby! This is my view from my bed - I can't stop looking at her! And I can't wait to bring her home tomorrow and let the girls spend some more time with her! I appreciate good friends and family more than I can ever say! So many people have visited the hospital, or reached out with offers to help with our girls, bring food, or be of assistance in any way we may need. We are so fortunate... Thank you all from the bottom of my heart!

For any of my friends who may check out my blog from time to time but haven't been to Warren's blog, you can go to http://www.lotsofcurls.blogspot.com/ to see some more pics and video of Macy from Daddy's perspective!

12 Comments:

At 2:33 PM , Blogger Bertie said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! She sure does look an awful lot like Maddie and Maya!! She is too precious! I'm glad everything went well and as smooth as planned! I can't wait to get to see her:)

 
At 12:33 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations you guys! She looks so sweet. I hope you are recovering well Monica.

 
At 8:15 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a beautiful baby. The whole family so proud of y'all. (course, you did all the work ;D )

Congratulations!!!! We all love you very much.

 
At 11:29 AM , Blogger James Kirby said...

Way to go Monica! I can't wait to hear all the stories that will come with having three daughters!

 
At 12:55 PM , Blogger Stewartville est. 1995 said...

ditto!!

 
At 9:17 PM , Blogger Muggle Mom said...

she is just gorgeous! can't wait to meet her in person!

 
At 10:55 PM , Blogger Debbie said...

Wow Monica! That was a wonderful entry and probably the last time we'll hear from you for sometime! Hope the trip home was smoothe and that you are taking up the offers of help now that you're home. Miss Macy is absolutely beautiful and so tiny! We look forward to a visit in 08!!
Love, Debbie

 
At 12:27 PM , Blogger Jonah said...

She is so beautiful! Looks just like the others! I'm glad it all went well. I wish I was there to visit you in the hospital again...and help out a little.

Take Care. I'll talk to you soon!!

 
At 11:16 AM , Blogger Suzi said...

Congrats! Macy is so cute!! I hope adjusting to life with three isn't too hard-good luck!

 
At 12:40 AM , Blogger Fancy Nancy Pants said...

She's so beautiful... and tiny. It's so easy to forget how little they start out. Warren, wow! You're collecting quite a few grays there..... I dye all mine out. :0

 
At 7:44 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Monica how are you? are you feeling better? i miss you and am so happy for you and warren love Robert

 
At 12:06 PM , Blogger Monica said...

Thanks Robert! I am feeling great - but the problem is I am still not supposed to do too much after the surgery, but that's hard when I feel fine! So then I end up doing too much. I need to take it slow. We miss you too! Can't wait to see you! We're trying to plan a trip to UT this year. Our girls need to see Uncle Robert!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page