Thursday, January 10, 2008

The FLU...

I have been hit and run over by a Mack truck. Seriously, I don't remember EVER being this sick. High fever, major aches, chills, sore throat, coughing, headache...

I get the flu shot every year, without fail. But this year my friend who has done a lot of research said I shouldn't get the shot while I was pregnant because it has thimerisol in it. She said better to risk being sick for a week than risk harming the baby. So I didn't get it and lucky me got the flu!

Madison got it first, and I took her in to the doctor right away and they gave her and Maya both Tamiflu. That stuff is seriously amazing! By the next day Madison was up and running around and playing! And Maya never got sick (they gave her the Tamiflu so she wouldn't get it). But I couldn't take the Tamiflu because I'm breastfeeding. I have been petrified that the baby would get sick, but supposedly she gets "immunized" by the antibodies I pass onto her through nursing.

I called my stepmom Wednesday morning in tears because I seriously couldn't function and did not know how I would make it through the day with all the girls. So she came and entertained Madison and Maya all morning! She was a lifesaver. Tomorrow the girls are going over to my friend's house - another lifesaver! I went to see the doctor today and he said I should probably expect about 4 more days of this. Ugh.

Next year, FLU SHOT FOR ME!!

16 Comments:

At 9:52 PM , Blogger Stewartville est. 1995 said...

ohh, sad.

i think the hardest part about being a mom is not getting sick days.

what is tamiflu and where can i get it????
i've never heard of it

 
At 9:53 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Monica, man i hope you feel better. That sucks to be sick, but sounds like you are are extra sick. for what it is worth ill say a extra little prayer for you. I rely hope you feel better. You know i have never seen you sick before. So i can only picture you throughing up
with a big smile on your face.
Owell, i love you monica get better soon. Robert

 
At 4:33 AM , Blogger Monica said...

Tamiflu is only by prescription and has to be started within 12-48 hours of symptoms showing up. So if you ever think you or your kids have been exposed and you start seeing symptoms, go into the doctor right away. They can test for the flu with a nose swab, and if it's positive, Tamiflu reduces the illness from 7-10 days down to 2-3 days. It was all the rage when the bird flu scare was going on, because there wasn't going to be enough Tamiflu for everyone who could potentially need it. It's good stuff!

 
At 4:34 AM , Blogger Monica said...

Thanks, Robert! Love you too, man!

 
At 12:20 PM , Blogger Fancy Nancy Pants said...

I hope you feel better soon, Monica! The flu sux! I got it a couple years ago, not getting the flu shot being pregnant with the twins like you. And I still remember how awfull I felt. Poor you. With a new baby and everything. If I was there I'd cook you some dinner. I wish I could do something.

Hope you feel better soon!
nancy

 
At 6:38 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

So are you feeling better Monica,
i thought about you alot of the day today thinking man i hope she feels better! I know how it is to be sick but not after having a baby
and then geting sick after surgery!
man that must have been just bad!
I love you monica hope you are feeling better.

 
At 7:23 PM , Blogger Bertie said...

Oh, Monica! I'm so sorry to hear you are sick! It is the worst when you are a mommy and you still have THREE little ones to look after too when you are sick!! Let me know if you need any help- but it looks like you are VERY loved so far:)

 
At 10:23 AM , Blogger Debbie said...

Monica, I'm so sorry to hear that you are sick and seeing the times you posted some of your comments on the family blogs, looks like you had a long night or so. Like everyone else I hope you are feeling better...the flu is no fun. I have a homeopathic remedy that works like Tamaflu but w/o the prescription. I have no idea it's impact on pregnant or nursing moms but it works fabulously.
I've been sick with Strep throat since Thursday night and as uncomfortable as I've been, I've had it easy compared to you. Take care and hope your next post is of you feeling much better.

 
At 7:16 PM , Blogger Monica said...

Thanks everyone for your concern! I think I have turned the corner in this...still feeling pretty yucky, but at least I am somewhat functional today. Debbie, I'd love to get your remedy in case there is ever a next time! I hope you're feeling better from strep - sore throats are the worst!! Mine is so raw from coughing, it hurts to swallow, and now I'm losing my voice. Warren and the kids are probably not too sad about that part! :) Kidding. Love you all!

 
At 11:03 PM , Blogger Stewartville est. 1995 said...

glad you guys are feeling better.

 
At 2:14 PM , Blogger James Kirby said...

Sick? Sore throat? Dang, Monica I hope you're all better by now. You didn't have to throw up did you? That's the worse part about the flu!

But the cool part is that deep low voice you get when you're sick. Just turn on the Barry Manalow and sing along!

 
At 4:16 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

JAMES i dont think Barry Manalow had a deep voice? even though low is part of his last name!

 
At 6:21 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Barry White maby???

 
At 12:15 PM , Blogger Maria Tortilla said...

I'm glad you are feeling better Monica. I missed your post being I was out of town and did not have blog access. But I am happy you are feeling better.

 
At 6:45 PM , Blogger Fancy Nancy Pants said...

Hope you guys are all feeling better... just thinking about you.
Nancy

 
At 11:54 PM , Blogger Jonah said...

So sad to hear! I have had the flu a few times...105 temp and I could barely move my back was in so much pain. That's the worst. Wish I was there to help. Hope you're over it soon!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page