Monday, March 10, 2008

Daylight Savings and Disney Movies

Can I just say I already LOVE this new daylight savings time adjustment? Of course, I didn't enjoy losing an hour of sleep, and I know there are tons of people like my dad who like to play golf at the crack of dawn - so they don't like it getting light so much later. Plus there's the issue of kids waiting at busstops in the dark - that's no good. BUT, on the positive side, my little Maya does not hesitate to come into our bedroom at the first inkling of light. So this means she is always in our room between 5:30-6:00. My 3 month old baby sleeps later than that!!! So this morning, since it got light so much later, she didn't come in until 7:20 - HALLELUJAH!! It was great. I got up with the baby at about 7:15 so was already awake when I heard her little feet padding down the stairs. So I could greet her with "Good morning Maya!!" instead of "Nooooo.....Maya.....it's still too early....go back to bed....."

Also, I want to share a huge disappointment I experienced last week. As you probably know, most of the old Disney movies are not always available. So you have to wait for a "release" of the movie before you can get it. I saw that 101 Dalmatians was released and I was very excited to buy that for my kids because I remember loving that movie when I was a kid. Well, first of all I was very disappointed to see "Roger Darling" with a smokey pipe in his mouth in every one of his scenes. But I can even get past that since it was made in the 1600's and all. I talked to the girls about smoking and how we don't do that and why. But then, I hear them calling each other "Idiot" in the movie over and over and over again! It wasn't just the bad guys doing it (which I still wouldn't want my kids to be hearing) but it was the mom and dad calling each other that too! I couldn't believe it. Maybe back when the movie was made it wasn't such an offensive term, but why would they model that behavior for children? I wish there was some way to edit it out because my kids LOVED the movie and were very sad when I said we wouldn't be able to watch it anymore because they didn't speak nicely to each other.

Have any of you with small children experienced the same thing with any of the other older Disney movies? I'd love to know before I rush out to buy the next one that is "released"!!

5 Comments:

At 12:53 PM , Blogger Stewartville est. 1995 said...

OOOHHH YES!!!!


we know this scenerio very well.
in fact all the cartoons I grew up on, i won't let the kids watch, funny how i don't remember all the negative stuff, for instance
Tom and Jerry....they not only call eachother stupid, idiot and other such names, they smoke, drink and commit suicide quite frequently....not just die, but a cat will say,
"i'm gonna kill myself" and then pull the trigger.

there seems to be a trend among the "older" cartoons, whether on tv or in movie form, they just were more casual with the cigies and pipes, alcolol use, gambling, casual murder and yes, suicide.

i hate it, but like i said, never remember any of this until i had kids and paid closer attention.

i think there became more awareness as years past because they don't do near as much of this stuff in the newer things.

there is a store in utah that edits movies and such, that is the way to go!

glad i'm not the only mom who is bothered by such stuff.!!!

 
At 1:21 PM , Blogger Brian Israel said...

In a much older Mickey cartoon, Mickey can be seen drinking and smoking! Shame shame shame. Don't let that discourage you. Many of the Disney films are still completely G rated all the way through.

Now that I think about it, I remember the power rangers saying "i'll destroy you" rather than using the word kill. A lot of cartoons are getting gritter. Then again, show the girls enough Tom and Jerry and they'll be playing with mousetraps and frying pans! Probably not. ;)

Brian

 
At 5:43 PM , Blogger Bertie said...

I remember when I was like 14, a kid told me I was an imbecile - and I was like WHAT?! Where did you learn THAT word!! I didn't even know what it meant, and she said - it means idiot!

She learned it from Dalmations! I didn't realize that the mom and dad said it to each other too though- that makes me sad!

Other then that- YEAH for later mornings and Maya's pitter, pattering feet:)

 
At 3:47 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is amazing the things that you notice when you are trusted with the stewardship of little people as opposed to just yourself. It is shocking sometimes the kind of things that I was oblivious to before I had kids. Granted, I am not nearly as vigilent as I should be now that my boys are a little older, but I am trying to be better.
Also, I need to see pictured of the little one. It has been too long since you posted some. =P

 
At 9:19 PM , Blogger Karie said...

That was the exact feeling I got when Ken and I went to the 25th anniverary of Grease. We looked at each other and thought "did our parents really let us watch this!?"

Seriously though, my views on the older Disney movies and the newer movies are pretty negative. It's so hard to find any movie anywhere that is really a great kid movie without the harsh words, sexual undertones, and anger. The kids and I with some friends went to watch a rated "G" kid's annimated movie this last summer and all of us almost walked out, and I wish we would have. When I got home I went to that Screen it web site just to double check the rating because I thought for sure it was G, and it was. But the movie had curse words, threats, implied shooting during a couple's fight, threats of "I'll kill you", illigitamate children, etc. What was interesting is the kids didn't like it at all and said it made them feel uncomfortable. We just don't handle anger the way the movie characters did.

Anyway, I recognized the same thing about the 101 Dalmations, and plenty of other Disney or kid's movie/cartoons. On one hand it brings up the oportunity for conversation but on the other hand it's helped my kids and I discuss the Strength of Youth pamphlet and we use that when choosing to watch a movie now.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page