Sunday, July 6, 2008

4th of July!

We had a fun 3 day weekend over the 4th of July! It was interesting trying to explain to Madison why we celebrate the 4th of July - obviously it's America's birthday, but I also tried to talk to her about how fortunate we are that people fought for our freedoms, and that it was a big deal to separate from our "mother country". I think she got it, but was a bit more interested in the parade and fireworks!

Our neighborhood did a fun parade in the morning! They provided helium star balloons and American flags to wave for everyone. A firetruck led the way with sirens blaring! The firefighters threw candy off the top of the firetruck along the way and the kids had a blast scrambling to pick up the pieces!

This is a pic of the girls with their good friend who lives across the street.

Moms and daughters! We love our neighbors!

At the end of the parade we were all VERY hot! They had water bottles and popsicles waiting at the end. The girls loved the red, white and blue popsicles! They got to look in the fire engine and see all the gear. Here they are standing next to the wheel - amazing that the wheel is taller than Maya!!

We went swimming that afternoon to cool off and then that evening set off our own fireworks. No good pics of that, but here's one of the girls holding sparklers! They were nervous at first, but after they did it the first time, they couldn't get enough!! They loved it!!

Happy 4th of July! We are thankful to live in this great country!!

1 Comments:

At 5:29 PM , Blogger Debbie said...

I love parades! I wish George loved them like I do. I used to take my kids to the Battle of Flowers parade in San Antonio when they were little...oh so hot, bathroom drama, but I loved it!
I think it's wonderful for neighborhoods to have 4th of July parades...looks like the girls enjoyed themselves. What wonderful memories you offer your kids!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page